I am asking for your support in improving whole school attendance and punctuality. During the COVID pandemic it was necessary for pupils and families to isolate if they or a close contact tested positive. That is not now the case and it is essential that we build back up on our previous positive attendance rates.
The impact upon children’s education through lost learning is huge. At a time when so much education has been disrupted it is vital that we make every school minute count. I urge you to ensure that your child is in school and on time everyday to prevent anyone falling behind with their learning.
Persistent cases where poor attendance and punctuality do not improve can be considered to be a safeguarding concern.
Herts County Council track school attendance figures. It is considered that attendance of 90% or below is persistent absence which will be closely monitored by school staff.
Northfields Infants and Nursery School has a whole school attendance target which is 96%, and currently we are falling short of this figure which concerns me.
There are things you can do to improve your child’s attendance and avoid falling into the persistent absence category:
- If your child is unwell and you are unsure whether to send them to school, contact the office to seek advice on 01462 623388
- Avoid taking any holidays during term times
- Keep up to date with what % attendance your child has so that you know if they are at risk of persistent absence (office staff will provide this for you)
- Speak to school staff with any concerns.
- Talk to your child about the importance of them being in school and let them know how important you feel it is.
We want to help families get their child to school on time. Here are some things you can try:
- Have everything you/your child needs for school prepared the night before
- Ensure that your child goes to bed reasonably so they are not too tired to get up in the morning
- Ensure your child has a good night’s sleep by minimising their use of devices at bed time
- Have a consistent bedtime routine for your child
- Set an alarm to allow plenty of time for your morning routine in getting to school on time
Thank you for your support. I hope we can make improvements to attendance and punctuality.